Comcast today launched Xfinity xFi, a new and personalized Wi-Fi experience that provides a simple digital dashboard for customers to set up their home Wi-Fi network, find their password, see what devices are connected, troubleshoot issues, set parental controls and even pause Wi-Fi access on their home network during dinner or bedtime. xFi gives customers unprecedented visibility and control over one of the most important technologies in their home.
The xFi experience can be controlled via a mobile app, website and on the TV with the X1 voice remote. To get started, customers simply need to visit www.xfinity.com/myxfi or download the xFi app (for iOS and Android). xFi is now available to the 10 million Xfinity Internet customers with a compatible Xfinity WiFi device – the xFi Wireless Gateway or the xFi Advanced Gateway – and comes at no extra cost.
This year, 86 percent of in-home broadband use will travel over Wi-Fi, and by 2020 Americans will have an average of 50 Wi-Fi connected devices in their homes. With this unprecedented level of Wi-Fi usage and connected device ownership, xFi simplifies the home network experience and provides many consumer benefits, including:
- Instant Setup: Simple, easy setup of Xfinity Internet service and home Wi-Fi
- Manage On Any Device: Take control with easy-to-use apps, the web, and X1 voice remote
- Find My Password: View and modify Wi-Fi names and passwords
- Name & Organize: See all connected devices and give nicknames for easy reference
- Easy-To-Use Tools: Set parental controls and bedtime schedules for any family member on
the home Wi-Fi network
- Who’s Using What: Create personal profiles and assign devices to individual family members
- Text Alerts: Receive alerts when new devices join your home network
- Pause With A Tap: Instantly pause Wi-Fi access on your home network, by device or user
- Voice Control: Say “show me devices” into the X1 voice remote and see results on the biggest screen in the home
- Monitor Activity: See who’s most active on your home network and when
- Troubleshoot Wi-Fi: Identify devices that are not working properly and receive tips to fix them
- Cloud Management: See and control your home Wi-Fi network from anywhere
- Safe & Secure: First line of defense against phishing and malware
“The adoption and use of connected devices has grown dramatically and Comcast has created a solution that makes it easy to control and manage them,” said Eric Schaefer, Senior Vice President of Internet and Communications Services for Comcast Cable. “xFi is a personalized home Wi-Fi experience that gives customers the fastest speeds, best coverage and ultimate control in their homes. And it’s a platform that will allow us to bring future innovations to our customers, address common pain points and vastly improve the way millions of people interact with their home Wi-Fi network.”
As part of the xFi launch, Comcast is renaming its most popular wireless gateway device. The xFi-enabled device that is in 10 million homes today will now be called the “xFi Wireless Gateway.” The company is also introducing a new “xFi Advanced Gateway” to customers on the fastest speed tiers. The xFi Advanced Gateway will be the primary device Comcast uses to provide one-gig speeds to customers – it is capable of delivering gigabit speeds over Wi-Fi and supports Xfinity Voice, home security and automation applications.